Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Story Time Part 3 A Sign of Regression and Rage--Lesson 43

Cheri is a stay at home mother. Twice divorced she has trouble trusting her current husband. Her first husband died in a car crash and her second one cheated on her with another woman. While she has worked on her anger and grief, she doesn’t quite trust that Thomas, who she says is fine man, will not eventually leave her.
Thomas had to go to Chicago on a business trip. He told her he would be in his hotel no later than 10 and would call her no later than 10:30. Cheri waited by the phone like a teenager waiting for her first crush to call. Ten thirty came—no call, ten thirty-five—still no call. Cheri has had a good deal of therapy so she didn’t regress until 10:40.

“I wanted to know where he was. I bounced between anger, rage, and fear like a tennis ball. I started thinking something bad had happened to him; perhaps a car accident or the plane went down. I couldn’t stop the terrible pictures that flashed through my mind as I waited for him to call. I saw him lying helpless or maybe dead in some ditch somewhere or in an emergency room. I was panicking. Then all of a sudden I pictured him with his secretary who went with him to that meeting and I thought that son-of-a-*&%# better be dead in a ditch because if I catch him with his secretary, I am going to kill him!” she was crying and laughing at the same time as she told me this story.

Question: Do remember the last big, dramatic story you made up about a person or a situation and released a little or lot of anger and rage only to find out you weren't even close?

In Lesson 44 we will look at "Child Time" as a sign of regression and rage.
For more information go to johnleebooks.com and read The Anger Solution: The Proven Method for Attaining Calm and Developing Healthy, Long-Lasting Relationships, Facing the Fire: Experiencing and Expressing Anger Appropriately, The Missing Peace--all available on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment