Monday, September 27, 2010

The Disproportional Reaction, Regression and Rage--Lesson 46

I’m sure everyone reading this has either said or heard someone say to them, “Where is all of this coming from?” “This” being all of their excessive energy about the problem or issue being discussed. The disproportional reaction feels overwhelming for many and just plain scary for others.

Those on the receiving end often feel they are being flooded by the speaker’s words that make up unfair accusations, insinuations and criticism. This torrent of energy is not usually enthusiasm but rather judgment and shame. Therefore, the listener tends to feel pushed away or wants to run away. But most of all they feel confused. “Why is he talking to me this way?” Jill asked me one day during a consultation, “It’s like he’s talking to someone else and he doesn’t even see me. Sometimes I think he’s shouting at his first wife or his mother.” I asked her how this made her feel. “Scared and angry. It pushed all my buttons and I feel like a little girl back in my parent’s house where I never felt seen either.”

Question: Have you said or has someone said to you recently, "Where is all of this coming from?

In Lesson 47 Feeling Like We Don't Have A Choice--another sign of regression that often leads to rage.

For more information go to johnleebooks.com and read The Anger Solution: The Proven Method for Attaining Calm and Developing Healthy, Long-Lasting Relationships, Facing the Fire: Experiencing and Expressing Anger Appropriately, The Missing Peace--all available on Amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment