Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Emotional Regression: A "Present People Eraser"--Lesson 28

Another powerful way to think about emotional regression is that it is a present person people eraser. When Adrian and his wife Sandra argue, “She throws things; her purse, pillows, nothing hard and she doesn’t throw them at me, but it’s like I see my father who did throw things at me when he was mad. He hurt me several times. I got a black eye once. I turn this five feet two inch, ninety pound wife who wouldn’t hurt a fly into a six foot, two hundred pound dad from forty some years ago,” he said during a session about his fears of anger and rage. Adrian’s regression caused Sandra to disappear, and his father to come back out of the past.

Question: Have you ever made someone disappear during extreme anger or rage or have you ever said to someone, "You don't see me or "I'm not your mother or father or ex?

In Lesson 29 I will provide further examples of how we transform a present person into a past person.

For more information go to johnleebooks.com and read The Anger Solution: The Proven Method for Attaining Calm and Developing Healthy, Long-Lasting Relationships, Facing the Fire: Experiencing and Expressing Anger Appropriately, The Missing Peace--all available on Amazon.com.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing these insights John. I got the book a couple weeks ago. It is helping me to make more sense of my actions with my kids and my parents' reactions when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete